Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook

2.21.2015

5 Minute Cast Iron Grilled Steak

I love my cast iron skillet. It is the best investment I have spent on a pan. Unlike my nonstick, which I have to replace every year, my cast iron skillet will be with me for a long time. The versatility of cast iron is amazing, as it can go easily from stovetop to oven. If you have a cast iron skillet or are curious what type of recipes cast iron skillets can make, check out my cast iron recipes here.

For Valentine's Day, I purchased a jumbo pack of strip loin steaks which was on sale. Each steak weighs about a pound. I looked for a recipe online that allowed me to use my favorite skillet to cook my steaks and came across this Alton Brown recipe. The beauty of this recipe is that the steak takes only 5 minutes to cook; great for any night really. Cast iron for the win again!


Ingredients
Steak (1 inch thick)
Oil
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions
1. Take the steaks out of the refrigerator 20 minutes before cooking to allow the meat come to room temperature. This allows the steak to cook evenly.


2. Place the cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat to 500 degrees F.


3. Lightly oil the steaks and season with salt and pepper on both sides.


4. Once the oven temperature reaches 500 degrees, take the cast iron skillet out of the oven.

5. Turn the stove to high and heat the cast iron skillet for 3 minutes or until it just starts smoking. Do not add any oil to the skillet.


6. Place steaks on the cast iron skillet and sear for 30 seconds.


7. Flip and sear the other side for another 30 seconds.


8. Once both sides have been seared, place the steak in the oven and cook for 2 minutes.

9. Take the steak out of the oven, flip and cook for another 2 minutes in the oven.

10. Remove steak from the cast iron skillet and allow it to rest on a plate loosely covered with tinfoil for 5 minutes before serving. Are you hungry yet?


Source: Food Network

2 comments:

  1. Bigger portions than at a steakhouse!! What a nice dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Sandra. LOL We were quite full after that dinner.

    ReplyDelete