Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook

2.24.2015

In Memory

My late grandmother loved pink cherry blossoms.

Today would have been my late grandmother's 85th birthday. As the matriarch of our family, she played an integral role in my upbringing and I worshiped her. Every year since she passed away seven years ago, the two days that are the hardest for me are her birthday (February 24th) and the day she passed away (October 2nd). Life moves on for most people, but for me, these two days are one of remembrance.

You see, her absence is a constant reminder that we should cherish those we love. There is a saying that you should give those you love your "presence" and not "presents". This is very true of my relationship with my late grandmother as she always made time for me, no matter how busy she is. When my late grandmother was alive, I would call her to ask for advice on everything and she would always call me to chat. My late grandmother was a religious woman, and she give up her Friday night worship if I went home to visit on a weekend. To her, spending time with someone is the most important thing in the world.

So on what would have been her 85th birthday, I am taking some time from my day to remember the woman who loved me and raised me. I miss you, I love you and I will always remember you, grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment