Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook

4.15.2015

Salmon Burger From a Can

To be frankly honest, I am not a fan of canned salmon because the bones and skin in canned salmon grosses me out. Canned salmon reminds me of the soggy and fishy smelling salmon sandwiches I ate as a child.

While shopping at Costco in January, I spotted canned salmon on sale for $1.17 per can. It has been so long since I've had canned salmon that I thought it would be a great idea to buy a Costco sized pack.

Fast forward 3 months later, while looking through my pantry for dinner inspirations, I spotted the cans of salmon sitting on my pantry shelf. Wasn't I planning to make something with them?

Racking through my brain, I had a great idea to use the canned salmon to make salmon burgers. As I was making them, I crossed my fingers that the salmon burgers would taste good; and not taste like it came from a can.

As the salmon burgers were pan-frying in my cast iron skillet, my husband commented that dinner smelled good. I was still a little wary how it would taste and whether my family would like my latest creation.

I watched as my husband took a bite of his salmon burger. After he proclaimed it was delicious, I took a bite and was delighted that salmon burgers tasted nothing like the canned salmon I ate as a child.

This salmon burger pairs especially well with the Dill Mayonnaise. Along with a side of parsnip fries, this meal was the perfect dinner. You'll almost forget these salmon burgers came from the can!


Ingredients
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
2 eggs
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs (or coarsely ground seasoned croutons)
5 tbsp Dill Mayonnaise (recipe here)
1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
1/4 tsp freshly ground sea salt
2 (6-1/2 ounce) cans of salmon
2 tbsp vegetable oil

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

2. Drain the canned salmon and pick out all the bones and skin.

3. Combine the canned salmon, onions, eggs, bread crumbs, black pepper, salt, and dill mayonnaise together. Mix well.


4. Divide the mixture into 4 even portions and form into patties. Set aside.


5. In a large cast iron skillet (or oven safe pan), heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat.

6. Once the skillet is hot, place the salmon burgers into the skillet and cook until it is golden brown. Press the burger down with a spatula. Flip the burger and cook the other side until golden brown.


7. Place the cast iron skillet into the oven and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Serve over the carb of your choice along with the dill mayonnaise.


Source: Slightly adapted from Food Network

No comments:

Post a Comment