Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook

9.24.2014

Kimchi Fried Rice Recipe



My husband is a huge fan of kimchi. He can eat a whole bowl of it on its own. A few years back, my husband ordered kimchi fried rice at a Taiwanese diner. So technically, the kimchi fried rice he had is not very authentic. Nonetheless, it was still tasty.

Fried rice is easy to make, delicious and a great way to use up leftover rice with ingredients you would generally have on hand: eggs and mixed vegetables. Traditional kimchi fried rice has gochujang, which is a spicy red pepper paste. I omitted this from my fried rice as I did not have any on hand.

When I told my husband that I am making fried rice for dinner, he suggested that we make kimchi fried rice. I happily obliged since I was craving kimchi anyhow.

Top left clockwise: canola oil, kimchi, rice, mixed vegetables, eggs

Ingredients
6 eggs
3 cups of kimchi, roughly chopped
4 to 5 cups of day old rice (long grain, short grain or brown)
4 cups mixed vegetables
1/3 cup kimchi juice
Vegetable oil (such as canola)

Directions
1. In a large nonstick skillet, over medium heat, add canola oil. Pour beaten eggs and scramble using a spatula. Cook the eggs until it is still slightly runny. Put aside into a bowl.


Scramble the eggs so it is slightly runny

2. In the same skillet, add a tablespoon of oil and stirfry the kimchi until it is fragrant. Set it aside in a bowl.


Cook the kimchi until it is fragrant and you can smell the spices.

3. Heat up a tbsp of oil to the skillet and heat up the leftover rice, breaking apart any clumps.

4. Add the mixed vegetables and stirfry for a minute.
 
Stirfry the vegetables and rice


5. Add the scrambled eggs until everything is mixed.
 
Add the eggs


6. To the skillet, add the kimchi and kimchi juice.
 
Add the kimchi and kimchi juice

 
7. Stirfry for 3 to 5 minutes until everything is fully incorporated.

Time to eat!
Source: Frugal Allergy Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment