Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook

9.14.2014

Kimchi Ramen

Looking back at my university days, if it was not for my mom, I would have sustained entirely on processed foods. One of my favorite foods was kimchi ramen. It was the instant noodle in a bowl that you can stuff in your locker and it will keep for months. It was great because all you need is hot water which was easily available (and free) at the university.

Fast forward to today, occasionally I still crave kimchi ramen. Call it nostalgia or old habits die hard. The difference is now I like my kimchi ramen a little different. I no longer use the MSG-laden seasoning packets that is included with the bag of ramen. There's hope that some day that I will kick the habit altogether.


Top left clockwise: kimchi, instant noodles and egg.

Ingredients
1 pkg instant ramen noodles, discard the seasoning packet
1 egg
1/2 cup kimchi (korean preserved cabbage)
Japanese ramen seasoning (assorted chili pepper powder)
Sesame oil (optional)


Delicious sprinkled over ramen or udon.

Directions
1. In a small pot, add the ramen noodles to boiling water and cook until the water just comes to a boil. Remove the pot from heat.

Cook the ramen to al-dente; do not over cook.

2. Remove noodles from the pot and place in a bowl. Do not discard the water.

3. Turn the heat to low. In the pot (off heat), crack an egg. Place the pot back on the stove and poach the egg to your liking.

4. Remove the poached egg from the pot with a slotted spoon. Discard the water.

5. Garnish the ramen with kimchi, sesame oil and Japanese ramen seasoning.

Mmmm...now I'm craving kimchi ramen again!
Source: Frugal Allergy Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment