Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook

11.13.2014

Apple Crumble

I have had my share of apple crumble, but none are as good as the apple crumble Mrs. F makes. We had dinner years ago at her house to celebrate a birthday, and she made apple crumble for dessert. When I told her that it was the best apple crumble I have ever had, Mrs. F said she used the recipe from The Purity Cookbook. My SIL gifted me The Purity Cookbook years back and I have been meaning to make this recipe for a long time but never got around to it.

We were invited to dinner at a family friend's house and I thought of this apple crumble. It was no surprise that it was a hit. The chewy oats paired with the apple slices is heaven. Add in a scoop of ice cream and I can polish off a whole pan of apple crumble on my own. Bring on the fat pants!

Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, cut into small pieces
4 cups peeled and sliced apples (about two medium sized apples; I used gala apples)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Mix together the flour, rolled oats, brown sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl.

3. Cut in butter with two knives or a pastry cutter until the butter is in small pieces (size of a pea).

TIP: Coat the butter with flour before cutting the butter into the mixture.

4. Butter an 8" x 12" baking dish.


5. In a separate bowl, mix 1/4 cup of the crumb mixture with the apple slices. Spread the apple mixture over the baking dish.


6. Cover with remaining crumb mixture and spread evenly all over.


7. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.

8. Serve hot or cold. Ice cream is highly recommended.

Source: The Purity Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment