Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook

11.27.2014

Not Your Average Tuna Melt

In junior high, my culinary skills were just short of pathetic. My repertoire consisted of Kraft Dinner, hot dogs and tuna sandwiches. I loved to eat, but I was a complete disaster in the kitchen.

That said, I have experimented with different ingredients in my tuna sandwiches to change it up. I have to admit that this version is my favorite by far.

I love the crunchiness of the celery and water chestnuts (not a tree nut) combined with the saltiness of the capers and olives in a creamy mayonnaise base. It is an easy and delicious option for lunch, dinner, or as a filling snack.

Ingredients
2 cans of canned tuna in broth, drained (170 g each)
1 can water chestnuts, drained, roughly chopped
1/4 cup olives (I used kalamata), finely diced
1/2 mayonnaise
1 stalk celery, small dice
1 tbsp capers, finely chopped
1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
Grated cheese, mozzarella or cheddar
Sliced bread (toasted) or Quick Dinner Rolls

Directions
1. Mix tuna, water chestnuts, olives, mayonnaise, celery, capers and parsley together in a large bowl.


2. Spread mixture over toast or buns and top with cheese.


3. Broil on medium in an oven or toaster oven until the cheese is bubbly and melted.


Source: Frugal Allergy Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment