Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook

1.29.2015

Baked Lotus Root Chips (Free of Top Allergens)

The Internet can be an amazing place to learn new things and connect with others. Through Twitter, I saw a Lotus Root Chips recipe posted by Jasmine (aka. The Blenderist) that caught my attention. I love any type of chips and lotus root chips just sound too good. Not to mention, the pictures from Jasmine's blog made the lotus root chips look even more enticing. I made a mental note to buy lotus root the next time I went grocery shopping.


For those who are unfamiliar with lotus root, it is the root of the lotus flower plant. When purchasing lotus root, look for firm lotus root that is unblemished, heavy for its size and without any soft spots. When cooked, it has a mild taste similar to water chestnuts and adds a nice crunch.


These lotus root chips are fairly easy to make. I made two types of lotus root chips: plain and sesame. My little man and I eagerly and patiently waited for the lotus root chips to bake. Due to my poor knife skills, some of these chips were a little thicker than 1/8 of an inch and took a bit longer to bake.

The result is an addictive, salty and crispy lotus root chip that had my little man and I clamouring for more. The thinner you cut the lotus root, the crispier it will be and the more it will resemble a kettle chip. The thicker lotus root chips have a chewier texture but is equally delicious.

My only advice to you is to make a double or triple batch because these babies won't last long!


Ingredients
Lotus root
Rice vinegar or white vinegar 
Olive oil
Sea salt
Freshly cracked pepper
Sesame seeds (optional)

Directions
1. Scrub lotus roots clean under running water. Slice off the ends of the lotus root and peel off the skin with a peeler. Cut off any bruised parts of the lotus root (see picture below).


2. With a mandoline or with your amazing knife skills, cut the lotus root to less than 1/8 inch thick.

I need to work on my knife skills...or buy a better mandoline.

3. Place the lotus root slices in a large bowl and fill the bowl with just enough water to cover. For every 2 cups of water used, add 1 tsp of vinegar. This prevents the lotus root from turning brown. Allow the lotus root slices to soak for 5 to 10 minutes.

I used seasoned rice vinegar which is what I had on hand.

4. Drain the lotus root and pat dry each lotus root chip with a paper towel.


5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

6. In a large lidded container, drizzle a generous amount of olive oil over the lotus root and season with salt and pepper. Close the lid and shake to coat.


7. On a parchment lined baking sheet, place lotus root in a single layer making sure they do not overlap. Sprinkle with sesame seeds (if using).


8. Bake for 25 to 40 minutes until the lotus root chips are golden brown. Eat and repeat.



Source: Adapted from The Blenderist and Just One Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment