Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook

1.31.2015

Cast Iron Chicken Chow Mein

I use my cast iron skillet to cook pretty much everything from pizza to dessert. To date, I have yet to cook Chinese food in my cast iron skillet.

Similar to a wok, a cast iron skillet retains heat well and can be used to quickly stir fry foods at high temperatures. Using a cast iron to cook chow mein is an ideal compromise for those who do not own a wok or those who do not have a wok compatible stove, like a ceramic glass top (like us!).

I have been using my non-stick skillet when I make chow mein. As I cook more and more at home, I have found that I prefer using my cast iron over my non-stick. Cast iron offers many benefits as food cooks faster, meats stay moist and you can cook at a higher temperature (just to name a few things).

I have been wanting to cook Chinese food in my cast iron skillet for a while. So last night, I decided to cook chicken chow mein in my cast iron skillet. My husband watched all of this with a wary eye and asked if this method has been tested out before. To be honest, I never bothered to Google it but I'm sure I'm not reinventing the wheel here. ;)

The chicken and the green beans both stir fried quickly in the cast iron (no surprise). The chow mein noodles also did not stick to the skillet as my cast iron is well seasoned. The end result is delicious chow mein that is ready in half the time. My husband and I both noticed that the chicken is moist and the vegetables are cooked to perfection. I can't wait to try more Chinese recipes in my cast iron skillet!


Ingredients
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, sliced into thin strips
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp vegetable oil
8 cups julienned vegetables (I used julienned green beans*)
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
454 g chow mein noodles
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil

* I removed the stem from the green beans and cut it diagonally into smaller pieces

Directions
1. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add vegetable oil.


2. In a bowl, mix sliced chicken breast strips, cornstarch and soy sauce.


3. Once the skillet is hot, add the chicken breast strips and stir fry until it is almost cooked.


4. Add the julienned vegetables to the skillet and cook until the vegetables are tender. Stirring frequently, add water to deglaze the skillet. Set aside.


5. In a separate pot, boil water and prepare chow mein noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

6. Pour 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in the skillet. Once the skillet is hot, add the chow mein noodles, toss frequently with tongs for a minute or two.


7. Add in the chicken, julienned vegetables, soy sauce, sesame oil and toss thoroughly. Serve hot.


Source: Frugal Allergy Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment