Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook

8.23.2014

Freezing Blueberries

British Columbia grows delicious blueberries. We are very lucky to live within an hour drive to some local farms which grow and sell these blueberries. About 4 years ago, my husband and I went to a couple of the local farms which had U-Pick blueberries, strawberries and raspberries. Though it was hard work, it was nice to see where my food came from and meet the farmers who grow these delicious fruits.

Since the little man is still young, we have not been berry picking these last two years. Instead, we purchase already picked berries from local farms who carry locally grown blueberries. Last year, I purchased 50 lbs of blueberries, and flash froze them to eat throughout the year. This year, the lack of freezer space combined with mommy brain, I completely forgot to buy blueberries altogether. Luckily, we were passing by the Richmond Country Farms and they were selling blueberries by the box. At $18 for a 10 lb box, I thought it was a good deal for already picked berries (U-picks are generally $1.70/lb).

When we got home, I tried some and were they ever sweet and plump! I only wished I had bought a few more boxes.

We've been eating most of the blueberries as part of our breakfasts and snacks. The little man can single-handedly eat a big bowl of blueberries! However, I managed to save some blueberries which we can freeze for later enjoyment.

Here's how to freeze blueberries.

Directions
1) Pick through the blueberries for any mushy, moldy or squished blueberries and discard any stems. Discard any moldy blueberries and separate out any mushy or squished blueberries.

2) In a salad spinner (I love my OXO salad spinner which I purchased from Costco for $22), add the blueberries and fill with water. Using your hands, gently swish the blueberries around. Repeat until the water runs clear.

My most used gadget. I use my OXO salad spinner to wash most veggies and fruits: salads, grapes, berries, etc.
3) Drain the water from the salad spinner and spin the berries dry. Drain any water and repeat as necessary.

4) In a rimmed baking sheet, line with parchment paper and pour the blueberries onto the baking sheet. Make sure the blueberries are all in a single layer.

5) Place baking sheet in the freezer for an hour or two until the berries have frozen.

Frozen and ready to be bagged. Or if you are me, you would eat a few while you bag them. Oops.
6) Place frozen blueberries in a Ziplock bag and label with the contents and the date. Freeze and enjoy!
Frozen berries can keep for up to 6 months in the deep freezer. Great for smoothies, baked goods, or snacking on their own.

TIP
  • Look over the mushy or squished blueberries and determine if they are edible (most times they are edible depending if you have any moldly blueberries in the batch). It is a personal decision and most of the blueberries I found were okay to eat (as I had no moldy blueberries in my 10 lb box). You can use these mushy or squished berries in a smoothie or eat them right away.
Source: Frugal Allergy Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment