Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook

2.13.2015

5 Minute Bacon Egg McMuffin

In grade 8, as part of the school curriculum, we had to take home economics. The course included Textiles (sewing) and Food and Nutrition (Cooking). I was nervous since my only experience with either was observing my grandmother or my mom.

Luckily for me, my friend Melissa was also taking Food and Nutrition at the same time and became my partner. I was ecstatic as she regularly cooked dinners at home whereas I was an expert at boiling hot dogs. The course was fun for me as Melissa did most all the prep work and cooking. My contribution to the team was fetching ingredients, stirring sauces and washing all of the dishes. At the end of the course, we were rewarded with an A+.

Did I deserve the A+? I would say no, but it did make me more confident in the kitchen, even if it was stirring the sauce. The only recipe that I learned to make from Foods and Nutrition was this egg mcmuffin recipe, which I still make to this day.

The recipe is incredibly simple and comes together in less than 5 minutes. I stock English muffins and processed cheese in my freezer which helps to curb the urge to visit the golden arches. Not to mention, it is much cheaper too and no morning line ups! So the next time you are craving egg mcmuffins, take 5 minutes and make your own. Even the most culinary challenged can master this recipe.


Serves: 1

Ingredients
1 egg
1/2 tbsp butter
1 English muffin
1 slice of processed cheese
1 strip of bacon (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions
1. Toast the English muffins in a toaster.

2. In a ramekin, melt butter on high in a microwave for 10 to 20 seconds.


3. Take the ramekin out of the microwave and swirl the butter so it coats the ramekin all around.

4. Crack an egg into the ramekin and season with salt and pepper. With a fork, poke the egg all over (this is to prevent a mini "egg"plosion). Cover the ramekin with a paper towel and microwave for 60 to 70 seconds. Remove.


5. Place 1 strip of bacon on a plate, cover with a paper towel. Microwave for 80 to 90 seconds.


6. Assemble egg mcmuffin by placing the egg on top of the English muffin. Top with bacon and processed cheese. Microwave for 10 seconds to melt the cheese.


Source: Frugal Allergy Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment