Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook

2.14.2015

Chinese Steamed Eggs

For those celebrating Valentine's Day, I hope you had a perfect day celebrating with your valentine. For those not celebrating, happy Saturday!

My little man caught another cold, so it will be a quiet Valentine's day for us. We were on FaceTime with my mom last night when she saw my little man was sniffling and coughing. She mentioned that I should make him Chinese Steamed Eggs.

I remember my mom making this for me many times when I was sick. I love the soft steamed eggs topped with green onions steamed until the eggs are fluffy. My mom would then drizzle some soy sauce and sesame oil on top.

Last year when I was sick, I tried making this without a recipe and it failed miserably. So when my mom mentioned the Chinese steamed eggs, I asked her to walk me through her recipe.

My mom said that the three essential things to make a good steamed egg are:
  1. Adding a ratio of 1:1 egg and water
  2. Covering the bowl with plastic wrap or a plate when the eggs are steaming
  3. Steaming for exactly 10 minutes on medium heat. If you cook it too long, you will end up with tough steamed eggs; if you cook it too short, you will wind up with undercooked eggs.
I followed her tips and was rewarded with soft, perfectly fluffy steamed eggs. This is a great dish to serve to someone you love when they are sick.


Ingredients
2 large eggs
3/8 cup cold water
1 tbsp finely chopped green onions
1 to 2 tbsp olive oil
Soy sauce (optional)
Sesame oil (optional)

*Note: If you are not using soy sauce, add in a pinch of salt to step 3.

Directions
1. Boil water in a large pot with a steaming rack (or inverted bowl) over high heat.


2. In a bowl, add in olive oil and swirl the oil so it coats the bowl.


3. To the same bowl, beat eggs and water together. Top with chopped green onions.


4. Lower the bowl onto the steaming rack and place a plate that is the same size or slightly bigger than the bowl so it forms a tight seal.


5. Cover the pot with a lid and turn the heat down to medium. Steam for 10 minutes and remove the pot from heat once the 10 minutes is up. Carefully remove the plate and bowl from the pot.


6. Drizzle with soy sauce and sesame oil. Serve immediately.


Source: Frugal Allergy Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment