Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook

12.23.2014

Easy Peasy Chicken Dumplings

Let me tell you, this is one delicious recipe! I often like to experiment with new recipes to try to keep my dinner menu fresh, and this meal is a winner winner chicken dinner.

It combines all my favorite parts of a meal: juicy melt-in-your-mouth chicken pieces, soft and fluffy dumplings and lots of gravy. The first time I made this, my only regret was not doubling the recipe! As this was simmering on the stove, I knew it would be a great meal and I was salivating at the thought of savoring my first bite.

I adapted the recipe a little as I did not have cream of chicken on hand and I substituted in cream of mushroom. I also omitted the celery seeds since I did not having any despite having a cupboard full of spices (what gives?). Most importantly, I made more dumplings than the original recipe called for.

This recipe is a definite keeper.

A flavorful and hearty meal to warm you up on a cold day.

Ingredients
1 (10.75 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (14.5 ounce or 430 ml) chicken broth
1/2 cup whole milk
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup chopped onion (or 1 tbsp of dried onion flakes)
1 celery stalk, chopped
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
ground black pepper, to taste

Dumplings
1-1/2 cup all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
4 tbsp vegetable oil

Garnish
1 stalk of green onions, chopped

Directions
1. In a cast iron skillet over medium high heat, add 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Sear chicken breasts on both sides until golden brown. Set aside on a plate.


2. In a large pot, stir together cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth and milk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.


3. To the cast iron skillet over medium high heat, add in the onion and celery, scraping up any chicken bits (aka fond) in the skillet.


4. Slice the chicken breast on a cutting board into strips.


5. Add the chicken strips (and any juices from the plate while the chicken was resting), celery and onion to the pot. Season with black pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes. (I simmered this on the stove for 45 minutes).


6. Dumplings: In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of milk and 2 tablespoons of oil. Pour the wet liquids into the dry ingredients, stirring until the dough looks wet. If needed, add more milk. (I added an extra 2 tablespoons of milk).


7. Using a spoon or a cookie scoop, drop tablespoons of the dumpling mixture into the pot. Cover the lid and bring to a boil. As soon as it reaches a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes (no peeking)!


8. Ladle into bowls and garnish with green onions. Serve hot.

Big fluffy dumplings in a luscious chicken and mushroom gravy. Mmm...

Source: Slightly adapted from Allrecipes

No comments:

Post a Comment