Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook

10.01.2014

Chinese Stir-Fried Egg with Tomato

Growing up, this was one of my mom's favorite go to dishes she would make on a busy weeknight. I would groan because we would have it, literally once or twice a week! It used to be a favorite of mine until I was in my teenage years as I loved the sauce. Like anything, too much a good thing is never good.

Since moving away from home, I have cooked this dish a handful of times. I am not sure what made me think of this recipe, perhaps it is the second day of fall and cold and rainy here in Vancouver. Or perhaps the nice teacher we met today at Strong Start (school based drop-in program for children aged 0 - 5 years old) reminded me a bit of my mom.

This is a simple recipe that is delicious as a standalone dish (if you are eating alone) or as part of a multi-course meal. Nevertheless, after the little man went down for his nap, I quickly made this dish for myself for lunch.

After not having it for so long, the soft eggs combined with the sweet tomatoes was delicious. It was a nice comforting meal to have on a rainy day.

Tomato wedges, green onion, eggs with salt.

Serves: 1 (as part of a standalone meal) or 2 (as part of a multicourse meal).

Ingredients
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 tsp salt
1 large tomato, cut into small uniform wedges
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 green onion, chopped

Directions
1. Beat 2 eggs with 1/4 tsp of salt.

2. Pour 1 tbsp of oil into a small non-stick pan over medium heat. Add eggs. Stirring the eggs once it starts to set. Transfer to a bowl when the eggs are still soft and runny.

You want the eggs to be soft and runny.

3. In the same non-stick pan, turn up the heat to medium high and add the tomato wedges, 1/2 tsp sugar and 1/4 salt.

4. Stir-fry the tomato until the skin of the tomato just starts to come off.

5. Add the eggs and chopped green onion and stir fry for another 2 minutes until the eggs have soaked up most of the juices.

Cook for 2 more minutes.

6. Serve over white rice as part of a standalone meal or as part of a multi-course meal.

Best eaten while it is hot and with a spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment