Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook

10.30.2014

Ham Congee

My Mother-In-Law is a resourceful and frugal woman, and very few things go to waste in her kitchen. Thanksgiving at my Mother-In-Law's usually mean roast turkey and ham. Any leftovers are turned into sandwiches, casseroles, fried rice and congee.

My Mother-In-Law always uses the turkey and ham bones for congee. While I am not a fan of turkey congee, I am a huge fan of ham congee.

Since I had roasted a leg of ham for Thanksgiving, I had saved the bone to make split green pea soup originally. Somehow, life threw me for a loop with a busy schedule and feeling under the weather, I decided a ham congee was more appropriate for dinner on this particular night.

On a cold and rainy October, this ham congee sure hit the spot. I can't wait to make this one again!

Ingredients
1 ham bone
1 cup rice
10 cups water
Diced ham
Green onions (optional)
Preserved vegetables (optional)
Soy sauce (optional)

Directions
1. In a large pot, add the ham bone, rice and water to the pot.


2. Bring to a boil, skimming off any foam that rises to the top. Stirring occasionally.

3. Lower the heat to medium and allow it to boil for an hour until the rice breaks apart. Add more water if the congee looks too thick.

4. Fish out the ham bone and pick off any meat that remains.

5. Ladle the congee into individual bowls, garnish with diced ham, green onions, soy sauce and other toppings (such as Chili Radishes and Chili Bamboo Shoots).


Source: Frugal Allergy Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment