Twitter Pinterest Instagram Facebook

10.21.2014

Creamy Minute Oatmeal

Oatmeal and I go way back. I used to buy Costco multi-packs. The 52 packet box came in 3 flavors: plain, brown sugar and apple cinnamon. It is portable and convenient; great for either work or school; all you need is hot water  There were two things I didn't like about the instant oatmeal. One, the flavored oatmeal are super sweet. Two, I was not a fan of the apple cinnamon oatmeal. These were usually given to either my husband to take to work or to my friend, A who loves them. I know my friend A ate all those apple cinnamon oatmeal packets I gave her, but I'm pretty sure my husband still has plenty of uneaten oatmeal packets.

Then, a few years back, I discovered plain oatmeal. It was sold in larger bags which allowed me to create my own flavors using fresh ingredients and also allowed me to control the amount of sugar I use.

Gone are the days of wasted apple cinnamon oatmeal. Try my version of a creamy oatmeal for a delicious hot instant breakfast ready in less than 90 seconds.

EDIT: If you buy Quaker Oats, read this article posted by Quaker on Buzzfeed about children with food allergies (it has been changed to 48 thoughts). It leads off with:



The kids will be home soon, and they'll be hungry.
Are they bringing that friend with all of those allergies?
I really hope not. I mean, I like her, but come on.

As of December 23, 2014, when I was made aware of this article thanks to Peanut-Free Zone, our family will be Quaker free. That means, we will no longer be supporting this company or their products.

Ingredients

1/3 cup instant oatmeal, plain unflavored
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup water

Topping Suggestions
Sugar, to taste
Apple sauce
Fresh fruit
Honey

Directions
1. In a bowl, add instant oatmeal, milk and water.


2. Heat in a microwave for 60 to 90 seconds.


3. Eat plain or add desired toppings.


Source: Adapted from Quaker Oats

No comments:

Post a Comment